Monday, July 21, 2008

The Dress: The Search Begins

After getting engaged, I was very eager to begin the search for The Dress.  This struck me as the ultimate moment when it would become real- I would see myself as a bride.  I had done a pretty extreme amount of research into wedding planning before getting engaged, and there were a few things I was massively skeptical about when it came to The Dress.

First: What makes a designer dress so freaking special?  Besides that I find it completely ridiculous to spend an excessive amount of money on something you will only wear once, WHY were some dresses so much more outlandishly expensive than others?  Was it the name?  Was it the fancy salon?  Was it the material?  Could anyone actually tell?

Second: Is there really a 'The Dress'?  (Yes, bad grammar, I know.)  I had a very very very hard time believing that I would 'just know' when I found the right wedding dress.  It's a DRESS people!  Does fate arrange for me to lose my sanity temporarily and fall in love with a dress?!

Now don't get me wrong.  I was VERY excited to go play dress up with my fr
iends.  Nervous and shy, but excited.  So I did what appeared normal to my completely inexperienced self.  I sent an email inviting three of my close friends in Atlanta to come play dress up with me.  (It just so happened that all three of them were engaged, so I knew they would enjoy the setting as well.)  Then I researched the discover the 'Best' Bridal Salons in Atlanta, and made appointments at two of them.


The first appointment I made was at Kelly's Closet.  Before I say anything else may I just tell you- my experience here was FANTASTIC!  If you want to hang out with fun, supportive, and loving girls, try on insanely gorgeous dresses, and be treated fantastically- make an appointment here.

It was here however, that I was introduced very quickly to the world of expensive designer wedding gowns.

I was almost shaking because I was so nervous to try on a wedding dress, and Sarah, the girl helping me was incredible.  She just kept me laughing, telling me I didn't have to wear a princess gown to be a bride, and telling me how hot I was.  (Before you laugh at how nervous I was, realize that new things are really hard for me!  And this DEFINITELY is classified as new.)

I didn't have a complete idea of what I wanted, but I knew that I didn't want a princess dress (no offense, they just aren't me!) and I was curious to see something all lace.  In my imagination, that is what I would get married in- something somewhat fitted, and all lace.

However, when I tried on something all lace, I felt all wrong.  Too unlike myself; too girly.  It made me uncomfortable.  Instead, here are the two incredible gowns that I left my appointment loving:



Being that I loved these Jenny Lee dresses so much, Sarah encouraged me to come back the following weekend for the Jenny Lee trunk show.  Without realizing what I was getting myself into, I agreed.

I had managed to begin to understand the complicated and overpriced world of designer dresses (of which I never could and never would choose to afford- but had fallen in love with), but the concept of 'The Dress' still escaped me.  As stunningly gorgeous these two gowns were, and how beyond incredible I felt in them- I just didn't get some lightning bolt wake up call that said 'I am the One.'

So I left my first attempt at wedding dress shopping feeling like I had massively enjoyed myself, but unsure as to how to proceed.

No comments: