Monday, July 7, 2008

South Beach Diet: A Sad Update

image found here

I forgot to update, so I figured I would let you all know- THIS IS NOT AN EASY DIET.  I mean, I have pretty good self-control, but eliminating sugar did nothing at all for my mood.  Which, um, slightly lessened my self-control abilities.  My awesome and supportive mother (who functioned as personal therapist this week, THANK YOU MOM) tried very patiently to convince me that after the first week, it is easier.  But let me tell you- we did not make it that far.  Five days was about all I could do, and then on July 4 I had pizza and coke- my favorite meal in the world.  Saturday was worse.  Since then I have been trying to do better.  But I think for now, the total elimination of sugar and bread is out of the picture.

At least until grad school is over.  Or I stop loving pizza and soda.

Don't leave me alone in my guilt- Someone encourage me with success stories, please!

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Oh, I'm sorry you are struggling so much. You know, I don't use any "diet" with perscribed foods you can and can't eat. I just treat my caloric intake like a bank account. Over time, I have to keep my balance at 1300 calories. Sometimes I overdraw and eat 2000, but other days I only eat 900 or 1000, and it ends up working out in the end.

Plus, I feel so much better now that I have eliminated all the junk. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, and I look for any new healthy snacks that I can tote around with me.

I use the program fitday, and I have been for like 3 or 4 years now. I also love the hungry girl emails (her cookbook is absolutely amazing).

I'm sorry I sound like an infommerical, you can email me if you have any questions or anything!

Annie said...

Jenna,

Thank you for the encouragement! I do feel a lot better when I eat healthier as well; I think my system just took a shock with absolutely no sugar at all. Other than my pizza/soda binge, I have been feeling much better by just trying to be more careful in the last few days.

I am going to look into Fitday and see what I think- Thank you for the recommendation!