Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Dress: The Trunk Show

Now don't get too upset with me, but I am not going to give much information about my second experience during wedding dress shopping day number one.  I was VERY excited about this second place, and had heard that it was fantastic.  However, the owner of the salon got on my bad side fast.  Let's just say that she... had a lot of strong opinions.  Pretty much every comment out of my mouth was wrong, and she knew much better than I did about every aspect of my experience.  And the one thing she knew for sure, was that all brides love sparkles.  When I tried to explain that they just aren't for me, she told me that I was too far away from my wedding day.  "The closer it gets, the more sparkles all the girls want!  They'll have to cut you off come next January!  You'll want sparkles everywhere!"

Strange.  Six months out, and I am still not a huge sparkle fan.  Maybe this phenomenon kicks in after the six month mark?

Needless to say, I felt that experience disappointed.  So my hopes were back on the Jenny Lee trunk show.


I was foolishly hoping that my dream dress was going to not only magically appear, but magically appear in my price range.  Yeah... Not so much.  Jenny was amazing to meet- extremely nice and very helpful.  Having her drape and pin a dress exactly to fit my body was insane, and definitely (for me at least) a really cool, once in a lifetime type experience.  (Listen, I don't get out much.)

But alas, the dresses were still beautiful but not giving me butterflies, and were still not affordable.  I left feeling more than anything really stupid that I had let myself get all excited about something I couldn't afford.  I searched PreOwnedWeddingDresses.com and found one of the two I loved, but at $1750 plus shipping it was still more than I could stomach.  (I was shooting for as inexpensive as possible, but ultimately under $1000.)

I kept telling myself that I was glad; I had gotten a perfect idea of what I wanted.  There had to be something out there like these dresses that was inexpensive, and when I found it I would get that 'The One' feeling, and life would be fantastic.  I decided to quit dress shopping for a while, and wait until my Mom and sisters were in town to shop with me.

No comments: